Friday, October 21, 2011

See, I can cook!

In my quest to eat healthier and cleaner, I'm trying to expand my horizons when it comes to trying something new.  So I had to share the awesome dinner that I made tonight!

I got the original recipe from the Wannabe Athlete blog who got it from the Daily Garnish blog.  It looked so good that I had to try it.

After searching all over my little town for millet, I concluded that I needed to be a little creative if I wanted to eat since millet is not something easy to find.  Honestly I didn't even really know what millet looked like until today.
Uncooked Millet
I keep hearing how fabulous quinoa is for health and all sorts of other reasons.  It is a complete protein source, has all essential amino acids, gluten free and easy to digest.  Best of all it is delicious with a slightly nutty flavor.
Uncooked quinoa - see where I might get confused??
The other issue I had is that I obviously need to brush up on my winter squash types.  The recipe called for a butternut squash and I apparently purchased an acorn squash.
Well duh, now I see the difference! 
So here it is...the PeakFit take on Quinoa with Maple Acorn Squash & Cranberries:
Serves about 4 people


1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 acorn squash, peeled & cubed
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Toss the acorn squash with a tablespoon or so of olive oil and spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet.  Roast in oven for about 20 -30 minutes, flipping the squash a few times.  Keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too brown.


While the squash is cooking, cook the quinoa.  Put water and quinoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 10 -15 minutes until the water is absorbed. (Or use directions on package if you want to use microwave or rice cooker)


Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined.


Once everything is cooked, combine squash, quinoa and cranberries in a large bowl.  Add dressing and stir well to combine all ingredients.

Enjoy!  I know that I did and that quinoa will be a new staple in my cupboard since the web is full of awesome recipes to try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment